SURGERY - Part Two

Surgery was on a Wednesday.  I told my coworkers on Tuesday I would be back on line Friday and they chuckled, rrightfully so.  What on earth was I thinking?!

Jeff stayed home with me on Thursday and waited on me hand and foot.  He set a table up for me with anything I might need between naps:  remotes, books, lemon-aid, and a phone.  I took up "Words with Friends" and had about nine games going.

I have three incisions.  One in my left underarm to remove the three lymph nodes, one on my left breast of course, and one on the right side of my chest to place a port that would be used during chemo.

My port is a small disc made of plastic about the size of a quarter that sits just under the skin.  A tube enters a large vein and ends just above my hart.  Chemo medicine is given through this port by placing a needle through the skin and into the silicone opening.  It's done this way, rather than through an IV because it can burn your veins and needs a stronger blood flow to wash it along it's way.

Here is a picture of what it looks like:
http://www.breastcancer.org/pictures/treatment/chemo_port.jsp


On Sunday I left the house for Church and realized I was weaker than I thought.  It was worth it though.  It felt good to be out and I really enjoyed the worship time.  I have so much to be thankful for.

  • I kept my annual physical appointment and made time for a mammogram
  • We found the cancer early and it wasn't too big
  • It didn't reach my lymph nodes
  • I have an awesome surgeon and oncologist and the nurses are out of this world
  • I have a wonderful husband who would do anything for me and family who loves me as well
  • I have friends coming out of the woodwork wanting to help
  • My genetic testing came back negative
  • My relationship with my Dad has been sparked and I love talking to him
  • My managers and coworkers pitched in to take care of all my projects without hesitation
  • I've been given an opportunity to tell everyone where my peace is coming from  :-)

Monday I worked from home and had a follow-up appointment.  At the appointment we learned the tumor was a little bigger than expected and I was upgraded from stage 1 to stage 2.  We also learned that the margins (the tissue taken from around the tumor) were not clear of cancer cells.  I would have to undergo a second surgery to remove a little more tissue.

Surprisingly I was not too upset by this.  Again, I was washed over with peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog