SURGERY - Part One

While waiting for the genetic testing I was able to meet both the surgeon and oncologist.  So, once I learned the  the genetic testing results were negative I already knew what was next and I was more than ready to take some action.

January 4th - Surgery Day

The day started with a trip to the breast center across the hall.  Because the lump could not be felt (too deep) it needed to be located and marked using an ultrasound so that the surgeon would know where to cut.  Locating it wasn't anything new.  I watched the ultrasound and saw it appear just like I remembered.  Marking it, now that was interesting.  A thin metal wire was inserted into my breast up to the tumor.  The end of it stuck out about two inches and looked like the antenna on an kids remote control car.  Thankfully it was flexible and didn't hurt.

The next thing they had to do was inject dye into my breast so that it could be tracked back to the lymph node and identify which one was closest to the tumor.  Okay, so here is Amy Higgins' explanation of a lymph node.  Have you ever seen those slimy fish sucking all the crud off the bottom of the fish tank?  Well, that's what a lymph node does for us.  It collects all the crud that shouldn't be in your body and filters it before it reaches the rest of your body.  If there are cancer cells in the lymph node, there is a much higher chance it found its way beyond my breast.

More about lymph nodes if your just dying to know!
http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/lymph_nodes.jsp

Injecting the dye was uncomfortable but not painful.  Helping the dye move though my breast and to the lymph node was just plain awkward.  The nurse had to massage my breast for five minutes while we made small talk.  ha ha

After I was all dyed up with my antenna boob they shuffled me across the hall for surgery.

I had a fan club in the waiting room.  Several people came back to see me while I waited to go in and more showed up to hear the doctor afterwards.  And the doctor did not disappoint with the good news.  My lymph nodes were CLEAR.  Woo Hoo and Thank you Lord!

I asked about the lymph nodes as soon as I woke up and cried when they told me.  It really was wonderful news, but I think the anesthesia sent my emotions over the edge.  My family thought I was upset or in terrible pain.  I did take them up on all the pain meds I could though.  It was a relief and gave me the energy to say I was more that ready to go home.  Actually I wasn't really ready.  I faked it so I could go home and lay down in my own bed.  I showed them!

My sister pointed out to me yesterday that I keep doing things to show that I'm in control when I'm really not.  I didn't realize it until she pointed it out.  Looks like that is what I did after surgery.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog