HAIR WEEK

It's been a week since my last blog update.  I've been waiting around for an "event" to write about and realized that I am living the event!  It's not about a certain thing but how I manage through this and my everyday life.  So here it goes...

This week my life has been about my hair.

I surprised myself and have to swallow some pride.  For two months I walked around telling everyone I didn't care, and to be honest I didn't think I did.  But when it came down to it, it was much harder than I thought it would be, physically and mentally.

Last Sunday I wasn't sure I was ready to be seen in the buzz cut, but then my neighbor Mary Lou, who also happens to be a salon owner, came to visit with her clippers and scissors.  She shaped it nice and made me feel a lot better about myself.

I worked from the office on Tuesday and took a little time to walk around and say hello to some people I hadn't seen in a while.  It was nice catching up and I even took my hat off and proudly showed it off.
Behind closed doors though, I knew it wasn't going to last long.  My shoulders were showing a little bit more than embarrassing white flakes. Got a mental picture yet?  Um, yeah, it was like I was living with two dozen cats and rolled my shirt on the floor before putting it on! Eeww

Wednesday and Thursday I was sporting several bald spots and my scalp HURT.  The best way to describe it is to think about the pain you have after letting out a tight ponytail that has been in too long.  Multiply that by ten and apply it to your whole head, then add a headache to the mix.

With all my bald spots and scraggly remains I looked like a zombie.  I tried not to look in the mirror without it covered and wouldn't let the girls see.  This was the hardest time.  I felt ugly and kept thinking about the fact that it would be a year before I had enough hair to do anything with it again.  A YEAR !!

Jeff razor shaved it for me on Thursday and ahhhhh, what a relief.  The pain was almost gone immediately and believe it or not I actually look better bald than almost bald!

My friend Debbie stepped into my office on Friday and smiled at me.  Then she simply said, "Amy, you look so pretty".  She had no idea how much I needed to hear that.  It filled me up with courage in just a few seconds and solidified my turning the corner and moving on from all this hair drama.

The week was rough but I've started to pull myself up above it and I'm sure I'll be ok.  It was just a rough patch I didn't expect to be so rough.  I'm sure there will be more.  I guess it's best to not be sitting here in dread expecting them.  I'll take naive and blind over pesimistic any day.


Comments

  1. I will always take naive and blind over pessimistic. "Ignorance is bliss"
    Negativity can take over and swallow you whole before you know it. You are so strong and absolutely gorgeous everyday! Love You

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog