BIRTHDAY PARTY & BUSINESS TRIP

The Party:

This past weekend we celebrated Abby and Grace's 11th birthday with a sleepover.  I can't believe I was up to it but God gave me all the strength I needed.  It was a big success.  They played Wii and karaoke and Jeff and I even led an art class in the garage where everyone tie dyed a t-shirt!

After tie dye I let Jeff escape to meet up with a friend at the local cigar lounge.  He earned it.  I stayed up until 11pm even though the last of our guests didn't fall asleep until 5am.  Sunday I squeezed in a nap and I was ready to go on Monday.  Unbelievable!

Before the party I had my wig trimmed up so I could wear it and hopefully prevent the kids from being uncomfortable around their friends.  At the end of the night however, Grace pulled me aside and said, "Mom, they all know you are wearing a wig.  One girl even got close and touched it.  She said it feels different."

So, in my effort to not make an issue I made one!  Geeze, I should have just kept on my baseball hat.  Apparently my hair was already discussed at school and they were all waiting to see me.  The next morning I just put on my hat and I felt much more comfortable.  Since then I heard that one of their friends is extra curious and really wants to touch my bald head, but she is afraid to ask.  LOL  I'm sure she'll get an opportunity before it's over.


The Business Trip:

Yesterday I traveled to Indianapolis for a business meeting today.  I decided to wear my hat and not my wig again.  I felt very comfortable and was greeted with several warm smiles and hugs.  It was the first time I had seen many of them since my diagnosis in December.  Below is a picture of me at the hotel before the meeting.

I've realized how important it is to see people who care about me.  Hearing that I'm doing okay or even talking to me on the phone just isn't enough.  They need to see that I don't look like I'm on deaths door and that I can still smile and laugh.

I dropped off one of my managers at the Indianapolis airport on my way out of town.  He shared with me how several of his family members and a friend had battled cancer in recent years and we talked about some of the strange side-effects, like "chemo brain" (I'll cover in a later blog)  He reminded me to take care of myself and to not worry about work.  This same manager flew in to the meeting from his Florida vacation so that it could be held on one of my "good-feeling weeks" and I could attend.   I am so grateful for the kindness my coworkers and managers have shown me.

I was feeling pretty good on my drive home.  It was a good-feeling week, a good meeting, a sunny day, and I was jamming to the awesome boobie mix tape Shannon made me (see my fan page for details)  My head had a itch on it and I removed my hat.  At first I thought about trying to get it back on while driving, then I had a crazy idea...... how about I DON'T put it back on!  I drove from Terre Haute bald.  As I passed other drivers I kept my head facing forward but looked at them from the corner of my eye, then I laughed out loud as I imagined what they might be thinking or saying to their passengers.  I'm laughing again right now just thinking about it!!

Comments

  1. Hi Amy! I so much agree, you are so strong and it made me feel better when I saw you in person. I loved that you didn't wear a wig and wore that cute hat with matching jacket. You look great! You have no idea how contagious your spirit is - you are an amazing and beautiful person. Hope you are feeling ok after chemo today, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog