ON THE MEND

Three nights and days in the hospital were enough.  Although I was admitted under the diagnosis of a low white blood cell count, anemic, and pneumonia, I doubted the pneumonia from the start because I hadn't had a cold or cough.  Dr.Cook told me the next morning it was pleurisy.  I hadn't heard of pleurisy before but after reading up on it I was sure she was right.  The symptoms were dead on.  I'm still not sure why the ER didn't come to that conclusion.


Pleurisy symptoms?

The symptoms of pleurisy are chest pain and difficulty breathing. The chest pain usually starts suddenly. People often describe it as a stabbing pain, and it usually gets worse with breathing
While in the hospital I was in reverse isolation and on IV antibiotics.  I didn't get the rest I was hoping for in the furry of nurses checking my vitals, hooking up more IVs, and testing my blood every couple hours.  I was meant to be there though, not just for the good care, but to fulfill a promise I had made.

I don't remember if I shared yet in my blog but even if I did it is worth repeating.  A week after my diagnosis during a special moment of prayer, God washed over me a great deal of peace and a promise.  The promise was that this would not be easy, but if I were to open myself up to be a vessel for Him though it all, He would give me the strength I needed.  If you don't have a relationship with the Lord like I do it might be hard to understand and accept this promise.  For me though it was easy and an honor.  I was chosen.  God does great things through us and he picked me for this job.

The nurses and techs were all very caring and God opened a door for me with one of them while I was there.  She noticed my Bethel Temple t-shirt and said that she "used to" go to church there.  She mentioned staff she missed and shared her need to belong to a church again.  She looked at me and said that at times like this in my life I need the love and support of a church and it scares her that she doesn't have that anymore.  Her reasons for leaving the church seemed so big for her that she couldn't go back, but they didn't seem big to me at all.  I encouraged her to not delay, just come back and see that there are open arms waiting for her.  I hope she does.

Everyone who visited had to wear a mask to protect me from any further germs my body was unable to fight.  I wore one when I walked someone to the elevator and it was hot and uncomfortable.  My visitors were suffering for me, but none more than my brother, niece, and nephew.  They came up with slushies (my brother Jacob and I both LOVE slushies)!  I could drink mine but they watched theirs melt as they tried to feed the straw under their mask.  :-(     Mine was awesome!  he he

I look back now on the week after that first Taxotere treatment and all the signs were there that my white blood cell counts were going down.  I was more weak than in the past.  I'm sure I didn't help things at all when I took the kids to the children's museum (CMOE) 36 hours before it hit me.  Can you think of a more germ infested place than exhibits at a children's museum?

On the day I left I canceled my hospital lunch order (blach!!) and had Jeff take me to Hacienda.  I could see the building from my hospital room and it had been calling my name.  I reached for a chip and realized I still had on my hospital bracelet.  LOL  I escaped from the hospital for a burrito!

Staying home from work that week helped my body continue to get stronger.  It was really hard for me but I realized the previous weekend my hard head is two steps ahead of the rest of me and it needed to slow down.

Friday was my 41st birthday.  My step-dad,  Dale came by and brought me a birthday cake.  The cake said 40th birthday.  Maybe he was hoping I could do that year over again and forget about how hard it was.  Ha Ha

Jeff got us tickets for the whole family to see The News Boys and we were worried I wouldn't feel up to it.  Thankfully the rest paid off!  I was ready to go and we had a GREAT time.  I felt alive and was filled up with the Spirit again.

The next day, just one week after being admitted, I was feeling so much better.  Jeff was cleaning the garage so I sat in a chair and sorted though boxes of stuff that had been shoved in there since we moved three years ago.  I wanted to work with him on the larger projects where I could see a difference but am glad now that I didn't.  That junk needed sorting and my butt needed to be sitting.

Sunday night I headed out of town for a business trip and was back to work full time, outside of the house, for the three days leading up to my next chemo treatment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog