THE FINAL STRETCH TO FINISHING CHEMO

In the last few weeks I've experienced some new things.  Most not so good, but one very good.

The not so good first:

Chemo Nails:
My nails are bumpy and yellow and recently started to lift up from the nail bed.  I have to be very careful when I do things like open a soft drink because they start to peal away even more.  It doesn't hurt, but the doctor said it will if they come off completely so I should be careful.  Here is a pic of "chemo nails" I found.  Not all of mine are this bad but some are.

You might remember one of my earlier posts where I decided to go hiking with my brothers (dumb idea by the way - Dr Browning laughed at me).  My shoes were worn out and my big toes were killing me.  Eventually the nails turned black and this past week I lost one.  I'm sure it was a combination of "chemo nails" and the damage from hiking.

Neuropathy:
I experienced some neuropathy during the first round of the other two chemo drugs, but it is much more prevalent with this round of Taxotere.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/neuropathy.jsp

Neuropathy is the general term for pain or discomfort caused by damage to the nerves of the peripheral nervous system.  Damage to those nerves can affect the way the body sends signals to muscles, joints, skin, and internal organs. This can cause pain, numbness, loss of sensation, and other symptoms.  Chemotherapy medications travel throughout the body, where they can cause damage to the nerves.

Some of the symptoms listed on this link that I am experiencing on a consistent basis are:

  • tingling, weakness, tickling, and numbness in my hands, legs, and feet
  • loss of touch sensation
  • balance problems
  • jaw pain
  • constipation and difficulty urinating (due to dumbness of the muscles)


Steroid side effects:
I avoided taking steroids with the first round of chemo  (prescribed to lesson the negative side effects).  I explained to Dr. Browning that I was just too concerned about the weight gain and I wanted to give it a try.  He agreed and it worked out.  Not taking them during Taxotere was not an option though.  He was involved in the clinical studies of the drug and said that it was just too hard on patients who did not take the steroids.

Chubby Nephew = CUTE!
Chubby Amy, not so much
I have to take four pills a day (the day before, day of, and day after chemo).  Then I take one a day for the next two days.  The first time I didn't ween myself off of them and I had withdraw symptoms that included trouble breathing.  It was pretty scary.

I've gained about a pound a week since taking them, but to be completely honest, I haven't really tried to control myself.  I haven't tried in a long time.  I just feel like I'm dealing with enough right now.  I've dealt with my weight since I was 14 years old and I've chosen to forget about it for a while.  It's starting to bother me though.  I'm looking forward to going back to the gym and Weight Watchers when this is done.  I want to reclaim myself - my body and my spirit.

The swelling is very irritating. I can't wear many of my rings when it is going on and my feet are big and tight. My face swells up too, but I don't feel it as much.  Family and friends can see it though.  Like I need to add any puffiness to my already expanding body!

Menopause:
Alright, this is one I haven't blogged about yet.  Certain chemo drugs can force the ovaries into retirement. This happens to about 80% of women my age.  Occasionally it is only temporary.  For now though the hot flashes are ...well.... WHEW!  Menopause at age 41 won't be so bad if I can say it is over and done with.  If it comes back though and I have to do this part again I'm going to be grouchy about it.

Eyelashes and Brows:
Many women told me these would be the last to go and they were right.  I was hopeful it wouldn't happen but in the last month it did.  I got down to about a dozen lashes and brows on each eye.  A dozen is NOT much.  I can draw in my brows to connect them and then use this clear mascara type product to thicken up what is there to make them look fuller.  I avoid the eyelashes though.  If I try to use mascara it just shows the gaps.  I bought some fake eyelashes and couldn't figure out how to put them on and still look natural so I just started to put on my eyeliner extra thick.  It really did the trick!  Much better than fake.

Now for the good:
 HAIR
About four weeks after my last Adriamycin / Cytoxan treatment (the first round of chemo - two drugs) I started to notice fuzz on my head.  It was confusing since I was still on chemo and even the second round had hair loss side effects.  I've since talked to the doctor about it, wondering if it meant the drug wasn't working as well and he told me it isn't like it used to be. Not all chemo drugs are "no pain / no gain" anymore.  Ahhhh, that sounded nice to me.
I had to shave my legs this week.  I haven't been happy about shaving my legs since the day my mom told me I was old enough now and to be careful.  LOL
I'm going to keep updating the HAIR JOURNEY link to the right of my blog to show it growing so check back often.  Here is what I have so far of just one week's growth.


ALL IN ALL...THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER

The Taxotere has definitely been different, but I'm not sure that is the only reason things are getting better.  I think I've finally gotten the meds down.

  • I'm weening myself off the steroids and avoiding the withdraw symptoms
  • I take Claritin starting the day before chemo and continuing for about five days.  This minimizes the slight allergic reaction I have to the chemo (red hot face) and also helps with the bone pain I get from the Neulasta shot.
  • I take a strong pain med before the Neulasta shot to cut the edge off the intense chest and pelvic pain I get about an hour afterwards.
  • I'm also taking a drug to minimize the hot flashes - ugh! the Hot Flashes

Only one more to go!!!

I had my 7th chemo treatment this week.  Chemo day was good and made even better with Ashley's company.  We had a nice visit and of course some good lunch and shopping afterwards.  I LOVE my girl time on chemo day.  It really helps me not think about what is happening and what the next few days will be like.
On Friday I was just worn out so I just tried to keep myself at a slow pace.  This has usually been my downfall, but like I said above, I think I'm getting smarter at managing chemo.  I forgot to bring home my Neulasta shot from chemo so Jeff could give it to me 24 hours later though. To get it I had to drive into the doctor's office. I usually don't drive on chemo weekend and after that drive I can see it is a good practice to stick with.  My reflexes are just not very good when I'm weak.
Today is Saturday, two days after chemo and right in the middle of what we call "chemo weekend".  I've spent a lot of time on this blog today but managed to fit in a break for tacos and a visit to the new church.  Our church is building a second site.  I was looking so forward to helping out with construction, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out with my health.  I finish treatments at the end of August and services start mid-August.  I'm still very excited and I'm sure I will find my mission there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog