BACK FROM VACATION / BACK TO THIS FIGHT


Back from Vacation...

We arrived home from our vacation yesterday afternoon, took it easy in the evening, and then headed back to work today.  We had a great time and Jeff and I both got a nice tan head!!  Like I mentioned in my last blog, I spent a lot of time without a hat.  They were hot and uncomfortable on the beach and since I was surrounded by strangers I felt more comfortable.  By the end of the vacation I was forgetting to wear it.  On the way home we ran into a restaurant for lunch and it wasn't until Grace pointed it out to me that I realized I wasn't wearing one.


Back to this Fight...


Chemo ended on June 12th and I am ready to start the final stretch of this race, radiation.

I met the radiation oncologist today and learned more about the process and side effects.  I guess if you hadn’t gone through chemo you might be bothered by the side effects.  For me though they are much less than what I have been experiencing so I’m glad.  I can expect my chemo effects (numb finger tips, swelling, difficulty concentrating) to continue to lift over the coming months (yeah, they say it can take months – boo).  My fatigue however will continue at about what it is right now as radiation and chemo share this side effect. 

One permanent side effect I hadn't heard about is a darkening of the skin where it was treated and toughness from scar tissue.  The doctor said, "The toughness is more prevalent in large chested women so you shouldn't have a problem."  Well, that certainly made me feel better!  LOL  Tell it like it is doc!!

Oh, this is an interesting tidbit….   I am not allowed to wear deodorant under my left arm during radiation!  Not just for the appointments.  I can’t wear it for the next 7 weeks!!  And it is 100 degrees outside!!  It has something to do with the chemical makeup of deodorant and the radiation treatments.  Jeff and I must have asked the doctor 5 different ways to make sure we weren't misunderstanding.  CRAZY!  Some of you will remember my infamous Mary Katherine impersonation.  Well, it won't be happenin' during this time.



On Friday I have what is called my “Planning” appointment.  This includes calibrating the machine for me, getting a CAT scan, and getting 4 little tattoos.  Yep, tattoos.  They are just dots that look like freckles that will allow them to line up the machine the exact same way every time.  I’m not sure how that is going to work since I’m covered in freckles already!!

During the planning appointment I am to tell them what time of day I want my radiation appointments to be.  It has to be at the same time every day.  I hope I can get a time early in the day so that when my sister visits this summer I can go with family on a weekend get-a-way.  If I have to stick around until late in the day for my appointment they will have to go without me.  Radiation will then start next Monday, July 9th and go for 33 consecutive business days.  I timed the drive today from the office and it is 20 minutes each way.  The doc said to allow for a 30 minute appointment so I'll be away for an hour and 15 minutes each day.  I guess that isn't too bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog